Sunday, November 27, 2011

New York State of Mind

Last year during my “Year of Travel” my friends and I spent three nights in New York City on our way to Egypt and then one night there on our way back home to Reno.  Due to the limited time we had we decided we wanted to see as much as we could in the short amount of time we had.  It felt like I was a contestant on the Amazing Race TV show.  We raced everywhere and we saw as much as we could.  My friends walk incredibly fast so we were able to see the highlights of New York City in just a few days, and I may have burned a few calories racing around the city that never sleeps. 
These are a few of my favorite moments and observations from NYC.
Embassy Suite Hotel, New York City – This is one of the hotels we stayed at.  It was a lovely hotel.  We heard while we stayed there that they were going to remodel and open under another name.  I believe they will reopen in 2012 as Conrad New York.  I highly recommend this hotel because it had nice accommodations and the location was fantastic!  We were in the center of the Financial District and especially close to World Trade Center.
Central Park – We went to see Central Park one morning.  The boys went for a run and the girls just walked around and took pictures.  We were there towards the end of November.  The weather was perfect, around 60 degrees.  The leaves were still changing which made the park rather enchanting.  After exploring Central Park we tried to find the coffee house on Friends.  After a lot of walking and a quick google search on our iPhones we found out that Central Perk Café was a fictional café that was located in Greenwich Village on the show Friends.  We were so disappointed because we are big fans of that show and we were so excited to have coffee at Central Perk Café like our favorite characters on Friends.
Ron, Jason & Andy


Me & Shayna
Broadway – Amazing!  I had no idea what Broadway was about.  I thought it was a big theater that showed Broadway plays and musicals.  I had no idea that it consisted of several theaters with simultaneous shows.  Ron and Jason went to see Rain (the Beatles Tribute) while the rest of us went to see Wicked.  Wicked is a musical told from the witches of Oz perspective.  It was fantastic!  I can’t wait to see it again someday.
Ellis Island & Statue of Liberty – We took a morning tour of Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.  It was humbling to see the landmark that stood as the gateway to America for so many people.  First we walked around the Statue of Liberty and walked up the stairs to the Observation Level.  The views were breathtaking.  After walking around and taking pictures we boarded the ferry for Ellis Island.  We were able to see the Main Building which is the Immigrations Museum and a little of the hospital.  I found it fascinating and humbling to hear stories of people immigrating to America.  It reminded me that the human spirit is strong and that we are a nation of immigrants.  They told us on the tour that over 100 million Americans can claim ancestors who came through Ellis Island. 



Rob, Shayna, Me & Bridget
Bridget & Me
Times Square & Comedy Show – Sunday night we went to Times Square and saw the All Star Comedy Show at the Times Square Arts Center.  There were 3 or 4 comedians.  They were all very funny, but my favorite told the jokes about how guys needed time to wake up and get going in the morning.  He advised us to always give our dads, brothers, husbands, boyfriends and friends time to wake up in the morning or at least 15 minutes to get used to being awake.  I took note and tried to let my vacation roommate be the one to say hi first every morning.  Sometimes it took half a day. J
Chris, Shayna, Bridget and Me in Times Square
Brooklyn Bridge – We walked over the Brooklyn Bridge in the middle of the night.  Bucket List – Check!

Empire State Building – We went into the Empire State Building but we didn’t go to the Observation Deck.  It cost $20 to go to the Observation Deck and I just think that is a rip-off for an elevator ride, so we passed.  We did go have drinks at a nice bar that had a lovely patio that overlooked the Empire State Building so that was a nice consolation prize. 
Hotel Carter – This is one of the worst hotels in the world, it is famous for being a bad hotel.  We found Hotel Carter, I believe near Times Square.  We had heard about this hotel and how bad it was from other people that had been to NYC and by travel websites.  So we decided to see what all the hubbub was about.  We entered the hotel and asked if we could see a room.  The clerk sent us up with a couple that wanted to see a room because they were interested in staying there.  We went up a few floors and then got off the elevator.  The hallways were dark and dingy.  We entered the hotel room and it was horrible!  There were holes in the walls, broken tiles and lots of rust in the bathrooms, and a weird stale smell.  As we left we went back to the elevator.  The doors wouldn’t shut and the elevator was stuck.  The clerk came into the elevator and proceeded to jump up and down, he told us this was how to get the elevator unstuck.  We high-tailed it at this point to the stairs, no need to experience an elevator accident on my first trip to New York.  We were pretty happy to have survived our encounter with Hotel Carter and it was everything we dreamed it would be and more.
We lived!  I took this picture once we reached the first floor.

Me, Bridget, Shayna & Chris
Wall Street, NYSE, Charging Bull – I was so excited to see Wall Street and the New York Stock Exchange because I had always wondered where my money was going.  I thought the Financial District was really nice and of course while I was there I had day dreams of what it must be like to be a trader on the market and to live in such a high stake competitive world.  My favorite thing to do on Wall Street was to people watch.  I liked seeing all the traders because they were dressed exactly like the guys in the movies.  I swear I saw Gordon Gekko walking down the street.  I can see how people have gotten wrapped up in the “Greed is Good” mentality there because it was like its own island where everyone in the streets look wealthy, it isn’t like any other street in the world that I have seen.  The only thing I was sad about while visiting Wall Street was that I really wanted my picture with the Charging Bull.  The only way to get that picture would be to take it with me and a million other tourists so I passed.  Maybe next time I am in NYC I will get up before the sun and go take my picture before the tourists arrive.
Greenwich Village – We had so much fun taking pictures in the park and it was really neat to see the village that acts as a muse for so many musicians and artists.  It was rather quant and I can see why celebrities really like this area and want to own property here.  It is a nice little community.

Soho – Shopping!  We went shopping in Soho and walked by NYU School of Business.  The shopping was really fun.  I don’t think I bought a thing but it was really fun checking out the stores and all the Christmas displays that they were designing.
St. Paul’s Chapel & WTC Ground Zero – Our hotel was very close to Ground Zero and the memorial was still under construction.  We couldn’t see much but every time we walked by I felt it was hallowed ground and that I have a lot of respect for New Yorkers and what they had been through.  9/11 was a day that brought us all to our knees as Americans.  It has left a scar on my heart because it took away my innocence and left me a little less naïve about the world.  While we were in NYC we explored Ground Zero and we went to St. Paul’s Chapel.  Seeing the Chapel brought tears to my eyes but it also made me proud to be an American.  St. Paul’s Chapel has a long history. It was built in 1766 and was the location of George Washington’s first church service as President of the United States.  It has stood up to many tragedies including New York’s Great Fire of 1776 and September 11, 2001.  The church escaped both events with no damage.   After 9/11 St. Paul’s became a place of refuge.  Over 14,000 volunteers were given food, medical attention, space to rest and support in the church as they worked on the recovery effort after the Twin Towers fell.  Seeing St. Paul’s Chapel and Ground Zero is something I will never forget.  I hope to go back in a few years now that the memorial has opened.    
China Town – Best Dumplings Ever!  We tried both steamed and fried dumplings from this place that basically was the size of my closet.  It was a little takeout restaurant with no seating, just counter space.  I wish I knew the name because I would like to go there again someday.  All I remember is the restaurant was across from a school or playground of some sort and it had the best dumplings and pot stickers that I had ever had!  They were cheap and delicious! 
Little Italy – We went to a great dinner in Little Italy, again I have no idea what the restaurant was called but it was really good food.  A few of us ordered dinner “Family Style” so we were able to try a lot of different menu items.  I knew the food was going to be good when a few minutes after we arrive a few NYFD fire fighters stopped by with a fire truck to pick up dinner.  Those guys always know the best places to eat.  After eating way more than I should we realized we had a lot of food left.  So we got a to-go box and figured we would find a homeless person and give them the rest of our dinner.  You won’t believe this but I swear, we couldn’t find a homeless person that night.  We walked for hours and we never saw any homeless people.  In fact everywhere we went the streets were clean and there were no signs of homeless people anywhere.  I felt bad because I had to throw away the food.
Rockefeller Center – When we got back from Egypt and Jordan we had one night to stay in NYC.  So we stayed near Rockefeller Center.  We walked over to the center to see 30 Rock and the Christmas tree and ice skating ring.  I am not sure if it was because we were tired and cranky or if it was because we just saw Pyramids in Egypt but Rockefeller Center’s Christmas Tree was a little underwhelming and the ice skating ring looked tiny.  I couldn’t believe this is what I had been watching on the Today Show all these years.  The center was still beautiful and we enjoyed ourselves, but it just didn’t seem as big of a deal as it was on TV.

I had a great time and I really enjoyed New York.  The people were nice and the city was clean when we were there.  I hope to go back again someday!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment