Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Thanksgiving in Cairo – 2010

After shopping at the Khan el-Khalili market we found a restaurant for dinner, for us Americans it was Thanksgiving.   This was the second time in my life that I was away from my family on Thanksgiving, and it never feels quite right, but I have been lucky because both times I was with good friends when I wasn’t with my family. 


Jason & his Pigeon Dinner

The restaurant we ate at was really nice.  It had beautiful carpets on the walls as decorations.  I remember being so excited for my first big Egyptian meal.  I ordered the Falafel, another first since I had never tried Falafel.  Falafel is a ball made up of ground chickpeas and/or fava beans then it is deep-fried.  I wrapped the falafel in pita bread to make a sandwich.  It was good but it took some getting used to for me since I had never had it before. 

The thing I remember the most about dinner is Rob and Jason ordering Rabbit and Pigeon.  I am so boring and risk adverse when it comes to eating new foods so I enjoy when my friends order things that I consider more exotic, even when I am not brave enough to try their meals.  I also thought it was funny that Jason ordered pigeon on Turkey Day. 

We had a nice Thanksgiving dinner in Cairo. 


(L-R) Bridget, Andy, Shayna, Rob, Jeff, Libby and Me

   

Falafel


No comments:

Post a Comment