Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Year of Education is a Work in Progress

I lived through the January marathon GMAT study session and took the test at the end of January.  I was taking the test as part of the application process for the UNR College of Business MBA program.

To prepare for the test I quit watching TV, having fun, and socializing.  I just studied as much as possible.  The weekend before the test I was so stressed out that I broke out in hives.  I’ve never been good at tests because they stress me out a bit. 

I didn’t score as high as I thought I would on the GMAT.  I told my friends that went through the MBA Program about my fear of not getting accepted.  They encouraged me to apply anyway before I make up my mind to take the GMAT for a second time.  I was really debating this situation and having a hard time making a decision, so I decided to wait and try to apply for Spring Semester 2013.  I figured I could use the extra time to study for a few more months and take the GMAT again.

Then two weeks before grad school applications were due for Fall Semester 2012 my brother Tom went and saw the MBA program advisor and he was really encouraged by the meeting.  My brother is also applying to the MBA grad school program.  Tom encouraged me to set up a meeting with the advisor to find out my options. 

I met with the advisor the next day and he encouraged me to apply right away.  The advisor was impressed with my professional history and my community involvement so he encouraged me to apply for Fall Semester.  My application was submitted two days before the deadline. 

I just found out late last week that I was accepted to the UNR MBA program, and I couldn’t be happier!    

In approximately 2 years I will be able to add the letters M.B.A. to my name.  I never thought I would go back to school or even have the option to pursue this level of higher education.  I feel very blessed to be accepted to the UNR MBA program and to have a family scholarship to help me pay for my higher education.

I decided to go back to school because I want to do big things with my life and I need more education to get me where I want to be in life.  I want to be able to succeed and be competitive in the business world.  Most of all I want to make a difference and I know I can’t do that without continual growth and education. 

May 2005 - College Graduation
Grandma Del, my Mom, me, My Dad & Grandpa Wayne
Another reason I became interested in the MBA program is because I graduated from college seven years ago and since then the job market has become extremely competitive.  It seems like 100 – 200 people apply for every job opening in my community because our unemployment rate is so high.  Most employers want half a decade of experience at a minimum and an MBA just to get an interview.  The MBA will make me more competitive and make me a better-rounded professional.  It will also help my survival chances in the job market, especially in a bad economy like the one we are currently experiencing.  The UNR MBA program will guide me to where I want to be and help me make my dreams come true.

I’m looking forward to “The Year of Education” being in full swing during the month of August when I go back to school.  I was an undergrad student at UNR so I’m really excited to go back to my old college stomping grounds for grad school. 

Go Pack!     

1 comment: