Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Last thoughts on my trip to Egypt and Jordan - 2010


I’m glad my friends talked me into going on this trip.  I was scared to visit this part of the world.  Thank goodness I went in 2010 before the Arab Spring because there is no way I could safely visit some of the places I went on this trip now.  The best part of the trip was experiencing the wonders of the world; the second best part was spending time with my friends and their families.  Most of the pictures on this blog from the trip are pictures my friends took, they are very talented photographers. Traveling in a group is fun and traveling with tour groups adds to the excitement and limits the stress of trip planning.  I’m blessed to have these experiences and I hope in the future to take more group trips. 



Funny moments & highlights I’ll never forget:


-          The boys eating tobacco on the bus thinking it was fruit rollup.  They all started coughing and getting sick, it was hilarious!



-          Rob flipping off all the ancient ruins.  He literally did a flip off the Giza Pyramid.  In these parts of the world they let you climb all over the ruins, it isn’t like in America where there are “do not touch” signs everywhere.  


-          Going to the Zoo with Ron


-          Watching Chris dance and sing with the children in Jerash.


-          Hearing Jason singing at the theater in Jordan.  Johnny Cash cover songs never sounded so good!  Also won't forget giving Jason a camel ride for his birthday and how fun it was to live with Jason on the trip, except in the morning since he isn't a morning person.

-          Watching Bridget as she was followed around by the little girls that were her fans at the Pyramids.


-          Listening to Andy and his one-liners Egyptian style. 
 

-          Shayna’s story about the cat messing with her camera when she was taking the picture on the Petra hike.  That cat really wanted his close up.


-          Watching Jeff & Libby patiently listen to the guy in the Cairo market telling his opinions of Obama.  

-          Our wonderful tour guide in Jordan. 


-          The moment I thought we were kidnapped when we followed the guy wearing FUBU through the Cairo market.


-          Playing frogger in Cairo traffic.  


-          All the fun we had with security.


-          Visiting the Queen’s store in Jordan that sold art and other things made by people with disabilities.  I bought several beautiful Christmas ornaments so each year I’m reminded of the trip.  


-          Our last dinner in Jordan.  The tour group tried to get us to buy a $20 per person dinner.  We went out on our own and found a neat place to eat for under $1 per person.  Gotta love a good deal on falafel!
This picture is from Google Images - our meal looked just like this!


-          And so much more…


This trip was an adventure and I’m glad I went.  I love traveling and would like to return to the region someday.  Hopefully Egypt and parts of Jordan that aren’t stable become more safe again soon because it would be a shame for future generations to miss the experience of traveling to Egypt and Jordan. 
 

2 comments:

  1. Just don't lose the passion to travel. Living here in Australia for a couple of years now, I noticed that Aussies have tremendous passion to travel that they even acquire the most reliable yet cheap travel insurance Australia has to offer for extra protection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my blog post. I’m in grad school right now working on an MBA but as soon as I’m done I’m going to take another big trip. I’ve been saving money each month for the trip. I know what you mean about Aussies. On a trip to Italy in 2010 my family made friends with two ladies from Australia. They were amazing travelers! Always having fun and seeing the world. They had that passion to travel you mentioned. We had a lot of fun seeing the sites and drinking wine and lemoncello with them on the trip. Since our meeting they have been to at least 5 countries on different trips. They inspire me!

      Delete