Thursday, August 4, 2011

Birthday Weekend at Bullards Bar ~ Mission Accomplished

Bullards Bar Reservoir
I have always wanted to take a trip to Bullards Bar lake for my birthday.  You would think that if you have a boat and some extra cash it wouldn’t be hard to get people together for a weekend at the lake, but believe me, it isn’t easy to get people to commit and to make plans, people are just so busy these days.    
For several years I tried to spend my birthday at Bullards Bar, this year I finally got my wish to come true.  The birthday festivities continued on Saturday when I got up early to go to Bullards Bar Reservoir, my favorite lake.  I met my parents at their house, got the boat all hooked up and ready to go, and then we went to meet our family friends and my Godsons so we could head out to the lake.  The drive took us about two and a half hours on some seriously curvy roads to get there but it was worth the white knuckle driving because Bullards Bar is such a magnificent place. 
We arrived at Bullards Bar around 11am.  The lake was about 99% full and the water temperature was in the low 70s, it was beautiful!  We had an easy time launching the boat at the marina and checking in to rent our dock space for the night.  Then we were off to enjoy some boating and picnic time.
Because the water was so high there was very limited beach.  There were 10 of us in the group so we needed to find a spot so we could take turns having half the group hang out on shore and the other half could hang out in the boat.  As we were cruising around looking for a good spot Jennifer noticed a lonely picnic table near the other boat ramp.  It looked like the perfect spot!  I almost drove right by and didn’t stop so it was a good thing she saw it and we stopped to check it out because it was the perfect beach camp.  We anchored and tethered the boat to a tree on shore so we could stop and have our lunch there.  Did I mention it was the perfect spot!?!  The view of the lake was gorgeous and we could watch other boats go by.  The picnic table was a great spot to sit and eat while we enjoyed the scenery and spending time together. 
After lunch we took the kids out to do some tubing and for the grownups to do some wakeboarding.  I know I am officially getting old because I enjoy towing my Godsons on the tube as much as I enjoy driving for wakeboarders. 
I had an amazing day at the lake and I was so happy to get my birthday wish of spending the weekend at Bullards Bar.  I love my boat but I don’t get to use it as much as I would like so spending a weekend at the lake is a really big treat for me. 
After spending the day at the lake we went back to the marina where we tied the boat to the dock for the night, and then we were off to our hotel in Grass Valley.  It was a real luxury to stay in a hotel because it meant I didn’t have to pack all my camping gear, thanks mom and dad for encouraging us to stay in a hotel and paying for my trip as part of my birthday gift. 
Nick and Matty

Jana and Brandon
After we checked in at the hotel we walked down the street to Margaritas, a nice little Mexican restaurant.  The food was good, and the margaritas were even better.  I had a great day at the lake and dinner with my family and my extended family (that isn’t family by blood, but they are as close as family so I consider them my family), Bob, Jennifer, Jana, Brandon, and my Godsons Matty and Nick.
Once we were done with dinner, they spoiled me with a few gifts and then we all headed back to the hotel to go to bed since we were exhausted.  It was a great day!       

No comments:

Post a Comment