Thursday, August 4, 2011

Happy Birthday to ME!

I had the BEST birthday this year.  My official birthday was on Sunday but the celebrating started on Friday because I have some pretty awesome friends. 

Friday night I went to a dinner party with my friends and then Saturday and Sunday I went boating at my favorite lake, which I will write about in my next post.  My birthday didn’t start out as a great birthday but by the time all was said and done I was pretty happy to be celebrating 29 and feeling extremely blessed to have such wonderful family and friends.
At the beginning of my birthday week I was feeling a little down and out of sorts because I dreaded turning 29.  29…great…just another year closer to 30!  I was a little bit of a Debbie Downer because every year that I get older I can’t help but feel I haven’t accomplished the things I wanted to accomplish by the time I am 30, and it seems as I get older the years go by faster.  I always thought I would be married and have kids by the time I was 30 and every year I realize those dreams won’t happen, at least not on the timeline I was hoping they would happen.  I know someday I will get married and have kids, but right now I have the suspicion God is trying to teach me the lesson that you can’t plan everything in life especially  not the most important things like falling in love and creating life, you live and life happens is the lesson.  I know that this is incredibly lame to think this way and I am being petty worrying that I can’t have it all by 30 but it is how I was feeling the week of my 29th birthday, (don't worry I got over these feelings and now I am enjoying my 29th year).  Luckily I have a good friend named Cassandra that wouldn’t let me wallow in my lame pity party.  So she helped me kick off my birthday weekend with a Friday night birthday bash. 
Me, Cassandra and JW at Pinocchio's Restaurant

It all started earlier in the week when Cassandra contacted me and asked if she could get some of our friends together for dinner on Friday night to celebrate my birthday.  I was relieved that my friends wanted to celebrate and distract me from thinking about how close I am getting to 30.  So Cassandra put together a fantastic birthday dinner at Pinocchio’s, one of my favorite restaurants, with about 11 of our friends.  We started dinner off with mojitos and then we had a great meal.  I had the yummy pesto lasagna which I highly recommend at Pinocchio's.  The waitress sat 11 of us in a booth that comfortably seats 8 so it was a birthday dinner spent with close friends, literally! 
I can’t go on and write anything else about my birthday until I first tell you about my friends Cassandra and JW.  JW and I have been friends since middle school and I was lucky enough that he married Cassandra who is now one of my dearest friends.  They are two of the most wonderful people in the world, no joke!  Listen to how thoughtful they are.  First Cassandra plans this great birthday dinner for me, then she went on a mission to find the wine I liked from a girls night at "Dinner and a Movie" we had a month or two ago.  She couldn’t find the special wine, but I was so flattered that she even remembered I liked it, and she took her time to go on a hunt to find it.  That was so thoughtful I was blown away.  But it gets better, she also baked me cupcakes for my birthday.  JW contacted my brother to find out what my favorite kind of cake was so Cassandra could bake me cupcakes, of course my brother didn’t know, but what amazing friends to try so hard and put so much effort into doing something nice for me.  The cupcakes were amazing and so was my birthday dinner that was their treat!  I don’t know how I became so blessed, but I am thankful every single day to have such great friends.
Me and my friends Jimmy and Justin. 
We've all been friends for at least a decade.
JW, Cassandra, Me and Emily
After dinner we moved the party to a bar called St. James Infirmary.  I got to have my favorite drinks there, the Bellini and the Holly Go Lightly, both have champagne in them and are fruity and girly, everything I needed to celebrate turning 29 with class and style. 
After we had a few drinks Cassandra, JW, and our friend Emily and I went to the next bar.  We moved to have our last drink of the night at the Chocolate Bar.  It was so nice to celebrate with some of my closest friends, it really meant a lot to me.  My self-imposed curfew that night was midnight since I had to leave town early the next morning, so we had our last drink and then Cassandra and JW took me home so I wouldn’t turn into a pumpkin.
It was a great start to a fantastic birthday weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment