Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A year ago today I was in Capri


We took a morning tour of Villa San Michele in Anacapri.  To get there we had to take a shuttle bus from one side of the island to the other.  Anacapri was very nice and the people were friendly.  It felt like more of a local hangout and not so “Beverly Hills.” 



The legend is that you put your hand
on Sphinx Parapet and make a wish.

Me and my brother

This birthday boy was also our local tour guide.
The Villa San Michele had the most amazing views and was beautifully designed with Roman courtyards and marble walkways.  The gardens were lush and had beautiful flowers.  The Villa San Michele was built by a Swedish doctor named Axel Munthe.  He built on top of the ruins of Emperor Tiberius’s villa.  They both probably built here because there is no other view like this in the world.  The gardens are gorgeous and the view is of Capri, the marina, and the surrounding blue water because the villa was built on a ledge on top of the island.  There is a stunning view in every direction you look.  From what our local tour guide told us Munthe and his friends threw grand parties at the villa back in the day similar to the parties of The Great Gatsby.  Dr. Munthe was also a collector, while touring the estate we saw his collections including Egyptian artwork and a room dedicated to prayer and spirituality.      

After our tour and some shopping in Anacapri we returned to our hotel in Capri.  Then we went on a walk and climbed a hill to find a good place for lunch.  It felt like we walked forever because we were so hungry.  We also couldn’t use our families circling in technique or we may have circled ourselves right off a cliff so finding a restaurant was more of a challenge than usual and all we could do was keep walking uphill until we found "the one."  We finally found a great little place with patio seating on the hill near the shops and a few homes.  The food was delicious!  The Italian Panini and wine lunch combo is now my favorite lunch combo.  I wish this type of lunch was the norm here in America.  If I were to have this combo here and then go back to work they would start looking into 28 day programs for me and rehab because it is taboo to drink alcohol at lunch and then go back to work.  I really enjoyed this Italian tradition on my vacation.  The wine in Italy was cheaper than water and soda, so when in Rome...or Italy in general...be Italian.   
 

Me and Danielle from Australia
Real blooming tree at our hotel, bellissima!

This bull was in front of our hotel.
Our hotel balcony view
After a nice relaxing and leisurely lunch we walked around more and then went back to our hotel so we could lie in the sun and work on our tans.  It wasn’t quite warm enough to swim in the ocean and the rain clouds were coming but after sun tanning for a few hours I had a little new color.  In other words I wasn’t quite albino or pasty anymore I was a little more reddish-pink and I was praying it would turn into a tan.
After hanging out at the hotel we walked to dinner as a family rather than going with our Globus cousins/tour group, little did we know we were all going to the same place which was a funny coincidence.  Our dinner experience in Capri was entertaining because we had to deal with a snobby waiter that didn’t really like Americanos too much and we as Americans love a challenge so we decided to stay for dinner and make friends.  

We found this cute restaurant by the town meeting place so we started walking into the restaurant and the waiter stopped us and pushed us back out.  He very rudely said it wasn’t open for dinner and we had to wait outside.  He was smoking and we were pretty sure he wanted us to leave, we could tell he didn’t really like us.  So we dug our heels in and we stood there and waited.  We watched him smoke, and then we acted as the greeters when our tour group walked by to go to their group dinner at the same restaurant.  After they went inside we asked if they were finally open and the waiter begrudgingly let us in the restaurant and sat us in the back.  It was funny because we could tell he was annoyed with us and he didn’t really seem to want to work, but we were really hungry and their menu looked the best so we stuck it out.  The food was delicious!  I remember having the biggest plate of pasta I have ever seen.  The waiter that took care of us once we sat down was really nice and it turned out to be a great experience.  I remember that snobby waiter; I think it was the only time I thought anyone in Italy was snotty to us and anti-American. 
After dinner we went back to our hotel and our friend Danielle and her mum came over to have drinks with us on the patio.  We downed a few bottles of wine and some Limoncello.  We were having so much fun!  It was our family of four and our Australian friends sharing stories and comparing the differences and the similarities between our two great countries.  I had so much fun that it made me sad that this was almost the end of our trip.  I hope to visit our friends in Australia someday so I can see where they live and maybe sit on the patio and drink with them again, but drink like a Yankee not an Aussie.  I’m pretty sure they would put me in the ground before I could keep up with my Aussie friends.    

Captain Morgan!
Danielle, my brother and me in Capri

No comments:

Post a Comment