Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A year ago today I was in Tuscany

The Best of Italy Tour
We woke up, had breakfast and then jumped on the bus to begin our journey to Tuscany.  Our first stop on the way was Orvieto.  Orvieto is a town built on top of  volcanic rock.  To get to Orvieto we had to take a Funicular.  Once we got to the top of the mountain we took a shuttle to the Orvieto Cathedral.  It was breathtaking!  The outside of the cathedral is striped with white travertine and black basalt stone which is an amazing sight to see.  I think Orvieto may have been one of my brother’s favorite towns; it was a very impressive place.
We also got to do some shopping in Orvieto and we found a nice little café for lunch.  The food was great and we were off the beaten path so there were only a few people eating there with us. 
My only regret in Orvieto is that I didn’t buy any jewelry.  I really wanted to buy a ring while in Italy and this town had the best selection but I talked myself out of buying because I kept thinking I would find more variety in other towns, I was wrong so I never bought a ring in Italy. :-(
Orvieto

 

After our visit in Orvieto we drove through a beautiful Chianti wine area and then went to check in at our hotel in Montecatini, Hotel Montecatini Terme.  I loved our new hotel!  The rooms all had doors out to a big patio and the rooms were very nice.  The hotel had great food and right out the front door was a market with all sorts of trinkets, Italian goods, and food.  I bought my favorite table cloth at the market there, I am kicking myself for not buying a few more of them.  The charming hotel we stayed at reminded me of movies I have watched that show people in the 4os and 50s hanging out at top notch resorts and enjoying the good life sitting by the pool.  It was a very classy place.  
Hotel Montecatini Terme



After we checked in we got ready for dinner and then got back on the bus.  For dinner we went to a farm that produces wine and olive oil.  Agriturismo (tourism based on agriculture) is becoming a big trend in Italy and other tourist destinations.  Before dinner we had a tour of the vineyard and we learned how olive oil is made.  Then we had a traditional four-course meal.  Unfortunately I wasn’t feeling well so I didn’t enjoy this as much as I would have had I not been feeling sick and exhausted.  I wish that I had felt better because I know everyone else really enjoyed the experience at the vineyard a lot more than I enjoyed my time at the vineyard.    
Mia Famiglia


After dinner it was back to the hotel and off to bed, but not before I did some work for my real estate clients at the business center at the hotel.  Thank God for their slow computer with internet because I had a deal that was falling through and another deal that was moving along perfectly that I had to work on.  I hated working on vacation but I knew it was necessary, and it was nice to come home and close a deal right after vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment