Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A year ago today I was in Sorrento & Rome

We said goodbye to Capri and then sped across the bay to Sorrento.  Sorrento is a very charming town and it is well known for Limoncello liquor.  We went shopping in Sorrento and checked out the sights. 


The most unexpected surprise was found in Sorrento.  My brother Tom and I were walking on what we thought was a bridge.  We decided to walk across to the other side so we could see the view.  When we looked down we didn’t see a river or even a creek, we saw a castle!  We literally found a castle in a hole in the ground.  It was a big surprise!  So then we started tricking our Globus cousins (the people in our tour group) into finding the castle.  When they came out of the store to wait for the bus we told them to go over and see the creek because it was really cool.  They would walk over and we would just wait for the surprised look on their face, it was priceless.  Everyone was shocked to find the castle. 
 

After spending some time in Sorrento we got back on the bus to head to Rome.  Rome was our first and last destination for this tour.  We got to Rome, checked into our hotel and then were rushed off to dinner.  On the way to dinner they took us to the Trevi Fountain which is one of the most famous fountains in the world.

The tradition is that when you are in Rome you throw coins into the Trevi Fountain to ensure that you return to Rome someday.  There are several different versions of this legend.  Another tradition is that if you throw two coins it will lead to a new romance and three coins will inspire a marriage or a divorce.  Then it gets more complicated you are supposed to throw with your right hand over your left shoulder to bring luck.  I was so confused by this that I threw a lot of coins with several strategies of right shoulder, then left shoulder, right hand, then left hand, you get the point.  Better safe than sorry when it comes to luck and love and of course I want to go back to Rome someday so I wasn’t going to take the risk of making a bad wish at the Trevi Fountain.

 

Our charming waiter
After throwing every coin we had in our pocket in the Trevi Fountain we went with the tour group to our last dinner in Rome so we could all celebrate a wonderful trip.  It was a little bittersweet because we made new friends and bonded with these people on the tour so we hated to say goodbye to our new friends and we were sad because our friend Danielle and her Mum didn’t make it to dinner that night.  The restaurant we went to for our last dinner was very nice.  They gave us a room for just our tour group.  The waiters were all very nice and there was one that was really funny.  I swear this is the only guy in the country that flirted with me, I am going to blame that on the fact that I was traveling with my dad and brother which probably makes me look unapproachable.  The waiter asked my brother first if we were attached, once my brother told him I was his sister the guy started putting on the charm.  It cracked us up because I started getting really embarrassed.

After dinner it was time for gelato.  The charming waiter came to our table and served everyone but me, then he looked at me and said “you allergic or don’t like ice cream?” I said “ oh no, I want ice cream” so then he smiled big and brought me out the biggest bowl of ice cream.  The whole group laughed because he was teasing me about the ice cream.  He was really funny, I bet he uses this routine on all the young ladies.

After we ate our ice cream we thanked our tour director and she thanked us for being a good group.  Then the waiter brought in roses.  He first went to my table and kissed me on the cheek and gave me a rose, it was hysterical, and everyone was cracking up.  Then he brought a rose to each lady in the room and gave her a kiss on the cheek.  Some of the men were jealous so he gave them roses and kisses too. We all had a good laugh with this waiter and enjoyed our last dinner with our group of Globus cousins.  After dinner we took another last bus drive around Rome and headed to our hotel so we could catch our flights home the next morning.  This was the perfect way to end our vacation.       

Francesca Bossi our tour director and hostess with the mostest.

The waiter chased me when I left
and gave me all the rest of the roses.



No comments:

Post a Comment